5th grade. compare/contrast. venn diagram. food. there we go. now i have your attention. :0
here's a simple yet effective to teach compare and contrast for nearly any grade level.
1. gather in baggies: one ritz cracker and one oreo cookie for each student
2. dry erase boards and markers
3. students will draw the Venn diagram on their boards
4. label--ritz, oreo
5. ask students to take a minute to examine their tools (cracker and cookie)
6. in a small group/workstation you can open up for comments as they occur
7. guide the discussion/comments as necessary
8. what is the same, what is different about these two items?
9. use descriptive words as much as possible
10. transfer learning/pr0cess to another topic--maybe a novel the class is reading, maybe two characters, the possibilities are unlimited