Monday, November 9, 2009

Al Capone Does My Shirts


Have you ever wanted to visit Alcatraz? I think it would be thrilling. Please don't assume that thrilling always means "in a good way". I imagine that Alcatraz would be exciting and ominous at the same time.
My 6th graders are reading "Al Capone Does My Shirts", which isn't so much about Al or the shirts, but is more about a young boy's struggles as he helps to care for his "eternally" 10 year old sister. I won't give away any more than that, so that nothing is spoiled. There are a few good resources that can accompany and direct your literature circle discussions. Currently we are following the guide provided to us by "Plugged-In to Reading".
While browsing for some additional information to share with my group, I discovered that there is a 2nd book (maybe there will be a trilogy)...book 2 is called "Al Capone Shines My Shoes". If any of you have already read this, pop me a comment and give me your thoughts.

No comments: